The client was running both search & display campaigns on Google AdWords, and getting a CPA of over $10 and their conversion rate was about 0.6%.
We discovered that most of the media spend led to poor ad CTR and high CPC, was due to:
- Search campaigns were targeting many of the keywords with broad match types
- Display campaigns were only targeting keywords as the only option
What we have done?
- Streamline targeting for display ad campaigns, by integrating 1st party data points from Google Analytics
- Performed A/B experiments before applying the changes on running campaigns, to minimize the risk impact of losing conversions
- Clean up keyword match types targeting, and re-work on the campaign structures for more efficient media spend
- 1H2018 YoY improvements in Cost/Conversion and Conversion Rate.